July 15, 2016

First Solo Exhibition in Vietnam & New Crop Exhibition in Carson City


∙DREAMS: Dancing Between Two Worlds 


The spring semester flew by in a blink of an eye and I started my summer with some great news.

In the second week of Jun, I came back to Vietnam and had my first solo exhibition in my country, titled "Dreams: Dancing Between Two Worlds." The exhibition was at Heritage Space Gallery, Dolphin Plaza, 6 Nguyen Hoang Street | 28 Tran Binh Street, My Dinh II, Hanoi. Exhibition was from Jun 12-30, 2016. I had an Artist's Talk and Opening Reception on Jun 12, 2016.

In this exhibition, I brought back my 8 scrolls from the piece "Recurring Dreams" and 15 of my prints from my newest monotype series, "Day Dream." On the opening day, I was grateful for all the love and support that I received from my family, friends, as well as other Vietnamese artists, and especially the staff at Heritage Space. Here are some pictures of the exhibition and the opening. Photos by Bui Hoang Long & Nhu Dinh Hoat.






During the opening, I was interviewed by VTV International - VTV4 Channel for their "Cultural Mosaic" Program. VTC (Vietnam Television Corporation) channel 10 also had a short clip about my work. It was such an amazing opportunity for me to introduce my work and my practice to others back home. Printmaking is still a new medium to many audience in Vietnam and I am thankful for a chance to bring my work back here.

I would like to thank everyone who had helped me throughout this exhibition. Without the generous support from Heritage Space and the staff, my family, my friends, and my audience, I know I could not pull this off.







As part of the exhibition, I also gave a 2-day workshop in Collagraph at Heritage Space. My participants came from various background, some art students from the Vietnam University of Fine Art, some independent artists, as well as friends who were just curious about the printmaking technique. Although we had limited equipments, we used materials and objects from daily life to produce hand-pulled prints.





In Jun, my work was also featured in the exhibition "New Crop 2016" at CCAI Courthouse Gallery in Carson City, NV, hosted by the Capital City Arts Initiative (CCAI). The show is open to the public Monday – Friday, 8am -5pm from June 3 – September 29, 2016 with an opening reception on June 3, 5-7pm. The Courthouse is located at 885 E Musser Street, Carson City. The reception and the exhibition are free. Other artists in the exhibition are Tom Drakulich, Mahsan Ghazianzad, DePaul Vera, and Kelly Wallis, all Master of Fine Arts [MFA] candidates from Sierra Nevada College and the University of Nevada Reno.

The Nevada Appeal features "New Crop 2016" in its Jun, 2nd edition.

CCAI also commissioned Kris Vagner to write an exhibition essay for New Crop 2016, titled "The Avant-garde, The Traditional - What Do You Think?" You can read it here. I was unable to attend the opening but I feel thankful that my work was included in this exhibition. If you missed the opening reception, you can still come see the work as the show will run until September 29, 2016.

Thanks for reading. Please come back for new updates on my work and exhibition.


No comments:

Post a Comment